Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Charming Snake ?!?

Today Dawned the same as any other day ...infact a lazy day for me got up late..playing with the kids ..suddenly realised that i'm fresh out of eggs .So,got the egg tray out and started to the grocery two blocks away.That was when ,I saw the snake charmer begging for money a 3 houses from ours .I called to Gurunathan(our help) and said don't let him come near our house and off I went .

Coming back.I saw Gurunathan deep in conversation with the charmer ,who was sitting sqat in front of our house .Gurunathan came running " amma, I saw a snake skin near the jasmine bushes there seems to be a snake around the house .Let us make him catch it " .Now ,Snake skin ...I'm familiar with :) .I called the Charmer and said I'll not give you to much just catch the snake and don't ask lots of money .(ME !! Haggling with a SNAKE charmer .)He was like " amma ,U'll have to pay me Rs.50 for each snake i catch " .I said I can't pay you that much .Now go catch the snake ! .

The Snake Charmer went off ,with his 'Magudi'..with the comments " With this 'Magudi ' I can catch only Cobra and Common Krait nad not the Green Vine snakes and ordinary snakes .I said"Catch that snake which shed its skin" .And so,he wanked around the house bowing his 'magudi' producing a strange linting sound ,which supposedly chars snakes out of hiding .Suddenly the neared the Well ,he ran and caught and he pulled it out .He Pulled n pulled and pulled .Out came it ,at last - a six foot ,shiny ,writhering ,Cobra !!!!!

He Hurried to put the snake inside his jute bag .he sqatted and started tying his sack .Our neighbour came and said If u have found a cobra there is sure to be a mate ...a cobra always is with a mate .Catch that also .

So off he went again ,and caught a Common Krait(its mate ?!? ) asbig as the cobra.He was starting to leave .I said Better check the whole house out there are lots of frogs about .So he walked around again .suddenly he shouted "Bring my stick someone ,Bring my stick" we all rushed to see waht he was about .There he was triumphantly holding 7 baby snakes and their mother !!!! They were Short and fat and slow .

By Now,I was real scared ...where did all these snake hide for so long .I said him
"Enough take all these and go please" .so again we haggled and i ended up paying him Rs.350/- .And the total number of snakes caught were 10 !!!!!!


4 comments:

சகாதேவன் said...

Let not children play in tha garden unattended.
sahadevan

ramkumari said...

Yes ,I making sure they dont go out without my supervision

Hiding Place "IN HIM" said...

Are you sure the Snake charmer himself didn't let loose the snakes and made a fortune by jus getting them back ;-) . .just a thought . .

ramkumari said...

Hi !! Welcome to my Blog ,Jasper !Weel I was skeptical at first but he caught the little ones too n they couldn't even move .Soooo fat they were .So i guess he didn't do it ;)